Sunday, November 25, 2012

September 6th, 2012: Milan, Week One!


We're onto day 4, kids! 

It is currently 4:16 p.m. and I am having a great day! I finally got a good night's sleep last night and I woke up this morning feeling not cranky or sad, so that was wonderful. I'm also almost done filling out the mountains of paperwork that come with being an international student. My Metro Pass and Residency Permit are both pending, I paid my massive credit card bill, I registered for my classes and I signed up for my school WiFi. Feeling groovy!

Some things that have been super exciting: 

1. MAKING TRAVEL PLANS. I am, so far, in the midst of planning day trips to Cinque Terre, Lake Como, and Verona, as well as a weekend trip to Florence and hopefully Naples and Venice as well. My BIG trip is going to be to Liverpool and maybe Glasgow where I'm thinking I'd like to go to a concert and do some of the Beatles tour stuff they have to offer.  I also have a friend studying in Oxford whom I'm hoping to get a chance to see while we're both here! Traveling is the best thing. 

2. Figuring out the grocery store. Yesterday my roommate and I did some heavy grocery shopping where I got an abundance of fruit and bread and chocolate. I'm still on the lookout for a bath towel, since I didn't know that I was supposed to bring one. Whatever, Italy, I guess I'll figure it out on my own. (Milan should get a Target.)

3. MILAN HAS AN ABUNDANCE OF COCKER SPANIEL PUPPIES. I don't know what it is about cocker spaniels, but they're everywhere and they are ADORABLE. I also found a small park a few blocks away from my apartment that doubles as a dog run. First thing tomorrow I'm asking my professor how to say, "May I please pet your dog?" in Italian. 

4. The weather here. It is beautiful 100% of the time here. If it's not 70 degrees and sunny with a light breeze, it's drizzling rain with the perfect amount of gloomy sky and crisp wind. It makes it so much easier to get around when you know that no matter what, the weather is going to behave itself.

5. Figuring out that the excessive number of bug bites that all of my roommates and I have discovered on our hands and feet are not, in fact, bed bug bites but are actually mosquito bites! At first we were worried it was from the linens. Now we're just annoyed that no matter how careful we are about keeping the doors closed, we still have to sleep completely under the covers in order to avoid more bites. 

Milan is a lot of things, including exhausting, dirty, and loud, but I'm in love with it. I am so lucky to be in such a great city.

(Thank god for globalization though. Sometimes you just want to Facebook chat your friends from home while eating a giant plate of Burger King fries, you know?)

No comments:

Post a Comment