Sunday, November 25, 2012

September 20th, 2012: Milan, Week Three!


Little bit of food envy for you today! I got a hankering to cook, and since I finally finally FINALLY (with the help of my beautiful roommates) learned how to turn the oven on and get it to stay on, I thought I'd take a whirl at it. Just a side note - grocery shopping in Italy is not nearly as easy as it is in the United States. It took me twenty minutes to find vanilla extract, and even then it comes in packages of two tiny 2mL vials. Between that, the bottle of honey I hunted for and the tiny bag of crushed almonds, I was reminded that perhaps I need to do my research before I launch into recipes from the US and UK!

So, anyway. For dinner I made meatballs with an apple chutney and balsamic vinegar sauce topped with gorgonzola, and found some fresh crusty bread at the little bakery across from school to slice up. Such a heavy dish, but so good - it helped quash my craving for fall a little bit, at any rate!

Fresh bread!

After all that cooking, I took a break and had a yummy glass of Maschio Pinot Rose and fresh strawberries while Elyssa and I studied for our Italian final tomorrow. We're prepared, and we're going to do great! Obviously to celebrate, we had to eat dessert.

So I whipped up some of The Londoner's Honey Roasted Peaches (though I accidentally reached in the fridge and came out with nectarines...whoops! Still tasty though) with mascarpone cream and toasted almonds. Those went over VERY well - I'm lucky to have such trusting roommates who will taste test just about anything I put in front of them. 

It was a pretty tasty evening if I do say so myself. <3


A little fruit and wine after dinner


Honey roasted nectarines with mascarpone cream and toasted almonds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment