Sunday, November 25, 2012

October 17th, 2012 - Milan, Week Seven!


Things have calmed down quite sufficiently since I've been home, I'm happy to say! I've gotten most of my belongings replaced or on their way to being replaced, so apart from losing a bit of spending money, I'm on the road to recovery! It's funny that most of the recuperating has been mental - I've spent the last few days feeling a little paranoid and a little on edge every time I leave the house, but slowly it's getting easier. 

The best part of having to take all these little adventures to get my ID and Metro cards replaced has been the ridiculous stories I've acquired. For example: yesterday I went to the Metro information desk to get my replacement card and after greeting the man at the counter with a simple "Ciao," he started speaking to me in French. Though I was a little taken aback, I figured I might as well give it a shot since I could understand most of what he was saying, so we spoke in rudimentary French for much of the exchange. However, as soon as he bent over to fill in some of the paperwork that I hadn't understood, I noticed he was writing my ethnicity down as 'Canadian.' I promptly informed him that I was NOT Canadian and he laughed a little before switching to English and saying, "Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you were Canadian, that's why I was speaking to you in French!" I'm not sure which part of my "Ciao" made him think I was from the Great White North, but whatever, it was funny and it made the whole experience of having to stand in line to replace a Metro card that much more enjoyable. 

So yeah, apart from being mistaken for a Canadian, things have been quiet and calm here! Most of my roommates will be in town this weekend so we're all going to do some shopping and some eating and probably a lot of TV-watching. I have my first midterm next week, so I'll hopefully motivate myself enough to study for that. And I think I have a couple of Skype sessions lined up, which is wonderful! All of my friends from home have been so supportive during this whole pickpocketing disaster, and for that I am so grateful. 

Hope everyone is having a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment