Sunday, November 25, 2012

October 2nd, 2012 - Milan, Week Five!


It has officially been one month since I've moved to Milan. How crazy that time has flown this fast! I am loving every second that I get to spend here, and I am so grateful that I've gotten to know such wonderful roommates and that my classes are turning out to be extremely rewarding! (The accidental economics class that I signed up for is going to be terribly difficult but I think it'll probably be my favorite. Who would've thought!)

I just wanted to do a quick list of some things I've learned since I've been here - just a little reminder of what's been good this month :)

1. Patience is a virtue. This is ESPECIALLY true here in Milan. Italians have zero ideas about time efficiency, especially when it comes to bureaucratic paperwork. I waited three and half weeks for a Metro pass that was supposed to take 10 days. My appointment to get my residency permit has been rescheduled three separate times. Yesterday I accidentally waited in the wrong line for a solid forty-five minutes (granted, that was partially my own fault, but the two and a half hour lunch breaks are still really getting me). Yet, while all of this is oftentimes irritating when it's happening, it has helped me realize just how precious my time is, and how easy it is to squander it on silly things. That makes all of my free time even more appreciated!

2. The people you live with can make or break your experience - I was fortunate enough to be placed in an apartment with five other wonderful girls, as well as a roomful of great people just two floors down. This has made my travels, my everyday struggles, and my long evenings that much more entertaining. I love them all dearly!

3. Before I left, a lot of people really encouraged me to "find myself" and "go crazy" because this was my time to do whatever I want before I "settle down." What I've found is that being abroad isn't the time to go wild - it's the time to see how the person I've carefully cultivated over the last 20 years fits into the greater world system. By the same token, when you do what you want, when you take the adventures you suddenly decide you want to take, all while still trying to keep the essence of who you are, the world doesn't fall apart. 

4. There is a difference between being independent and being alone. There is also a difference between being comfortably alone and being lonely. Travel really teaches you that lesson quickly. 

5. Distance does not affect the relationships with which you were most comfortable upon leaving. I am so blessed to have such caring friends and family who have taken the time out of their schedules to email me, write me messages, send me selfies, and read about my travels. I am too grateful for words! 

No comments:

Post a Comment