Sunday, November 25, 2012

September 4th, 2012: Milan, Week One!


Well, it is currently 8:29 p.m. here in Milan, and I can sufficiently say that so far this country is both exhausting and fantastic. After three separate flights in three different countries, a nearly missed connection, a three hour trip from the airport to my apartment, and the realization that I had no towels and no blankets in my bedroom, I nearly thought I was going to lose it. However, it only took a few hours of heavy sleep and a fantastically full day at my university's orientation for me to realize that things were going to be okay, and that I was going to continue to settle in as more and more hours passed by. (Plus, someone delivered some linens today. It's the little things.)

I haven't taken any pictures yet, because I keep forgetting to bring my camera anywhere, but here are a few things that I'm beaming about: 

1. Figuring out the Metro system. In fact, not only figuring it out but finding it to be a pretty relaxing way to get from place to place.

2. Ordering food at my first real Italian restaurant. Sure, it was more of an exchange of verbs with no subjects, words like "pasta" and "bolognese," and a million "grazie"s, but it was an exchange none the less! I am excited to get started on my language class later this week, because I'm pretty sure it will take away some of the everyday anxiety I have about communicating. 

3. Realizing that not only is my neighborhood quaint and quiet, it is also about six blocks away from one of the biggest shopping streets around. It's the best of both worlds!

4. Understanding that jet lag doesn't just mean constant fatigue during the day - it also means insomnia at weird hours of the night. I spent a wonderfully quiet 3 hours early in the morning watching How I Met Your Mother and coloring in a coloring book before falling asleep for a little while longer. 

5. WiFi. As much fun as I am having here, at the end of the day, all I want to do is log onto Facebook, check my email, and hear from my friends and family back home. Next week our connection is supposed to be drastically improved to allow for more Skype, but for now, I'm pretty content :) 

Tasks for this week include: Figuring out how to say "I'm sorry" in Italian so I can properly apologize when I am an idiot to everyday citizens. Listening to the mountain of music my friends gave me when I left. Planning my first trip since arriving. Paying my credit card bill. 

Hope everyone's having a great week!
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment