Saturday, July 2, 2011

Writing

Hello all!

As some of you may know, every November I like to participate in National Novel Writing Month, a contest that encourages writers to write 50,000 words in 30 days. The magic number, to save you some math, is 1667 words a day, which is more than you might think. It's easy to get behind if you don't write faithfully every day!

NaNoWriMo is something I love to do because it forces me to be very focused in my writing for at least a month. It isn't a program that is meant to churn out a work of genius, nor are the participants expected to write great prose every day. That's what I love about it. It's about making a mess, getting creative, and seeing what your brain will churn out if you give it enough freedom.

This summer, one of my goals was to write a novel in 30 days, so as of yesterday, I've begun. It's all very messy, but I started a Moleskine for the book in early June, and I've got a lot of notes and excerpts that give me some much needed fuel when I can't get through a paragraph without hating my writing. I'm excited to get writing, but I wanted to let you all know what I've been doing with my summer: National Novel Writing Month in July! 30 days of nonstop writing. And yes, I know July has 31 days. Close enough.

In the meantime, here's one of my favorite songs to write to. I actually love listening to the whole Harry Potter soundtrack, but this is one of my favorites. Gets me focused! 



Happy writing, and happy July!
<3 Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment