Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012


I just wanted to take a moment to reminisce about the best year of my life. 



In January, I moved in with someone who would not only become my best friend and ultimate inspiration, but would teach me more than I ever thought possible about optimism, joy, and love. We watched movies and listened to music and stayed up late having pillow talk, and it was the first month of the happiest semester of my life. 





By spring, I had celebrated my 19th birthday, seen the Avett Brothers live, made some great new friends, became closer with old friends, saw the posse, and managed to squeeze in some time for school and work too. I was hired at Red Mango, I was working at the music library on campus, and just generally having a great time at UNL. 





Once summer rolled around, I moved into my own little studio apartment and spent my days at work and my nights with the posse. I spent hot days at the fair and at Czech Days in Wilber, Nebraska with Rachel. I took adventures. My summer was full of live music - I saw one of the best concerts of my life (Mumford and Sons) and heard a great musical legend, too (B.B. King). I traveled with the family, spending one last summer at my childhood cabin in Minnesota, and applied for my visa to study abroad in Chicago. I hugged my friends and family, and I tried to come to terms with the fact that I was leaving. 



Southeast Graduation - Wanufi and Becca

Mumford and Sons - Pinewood Bowl

Mumford and Sons - Pinewood Bowl

Alli and I appeared on our friend Beau's morning radio show

Olivia and I taking year-end pictures
More graduation pictures

Red Mango

Chicago - Summer 2012

Moving into the apartment!






Minnesota - Summer 2012

Minnesota Zoo - Summer 2012




And then September 2nd came and I found myself on a plane on the way to Milan, Italy, where I spent three and a half months on the biggest adventure I'd ever taken. I traveled far and wide, seeing Scotland and France and Switzerland, getting pick-pocketed in Spain, and swimming in the Mediterranean in the early fall. I met some of the sweetest girls I could've hoped to live with, and we had fun studying, traveling, and partying together. I realized that the vision of the world and my future that I had when I arrived was inaccurate and incomplete, so I changed it. I ate the best food of my life, including an exquisite pizza in Rome that changed my entire definition of pizza. I got to travel with my biggest ally and my greatest friend, my Mom. Mom, just so you know: you gave me the greatest gift I ever could have asked for by allowing and funding my trip to Italy. I learned the most about myself while I was there, and if I hadn't gone I don't know that I ever would have figured out what I wanted. Thank you for being endlessly supportive of me, and for never giving up on me, even when I was confused, hot-mess. You are the best mom in the world and I love you so much!

The Duomo
Best girls in all of Italy - Morgan, Anne, Marissa, Nicole, Celynna, Rachael, Kristin, and Elyssa
Cinque Terre
Lake Como
Lake Como
Fabbrica's Pizza - Milano, Italy
Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
Scotland
Scotland

Barcelona

Barcelona
Barcelona

Rachael's Birthday
Thanksgiving
Paris
Paris
Paris
Kristin's Birthday
End of the Year Party
End of the Year Party

Rome
Rome


Finally, I returned home to the loving arms of the best friends a girl could ask for, and my year came full circle as I rang in the New Year with the people I love most in the world. 2012 has been one of the most fulfilling and enriching years of my life, and I can only hope that 2013 will be equally joyful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment