Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Last Day!

Today is my last day at home.

Tomorrow I leave to go live in the big, scary world all by my lonesome. I'm so excited, and a little nervous too, mainly because my roommate doesn't know who Bob Dylan is (if you don't either, shame on you! Go here and have a listen. You'll love it!) Yeah, I know it's a small thing. But I grew up with Bob. He's a legend, an icon. And it's weird to me that not everyone knows (and loves) him.

I'm so excited to move, though. I can't wait for this independence, the chance to live on my own and make my own messes and learn to clean them up, too. I can't wait to meet new friends, and I plan to take this second chance seriously - I want friends with ambition, compassion, intelligence. I don't want to settle.

Tomorrow I leave to go live in the big, scary world all by my lonesome. But really, I won't be alone. I'm taking the love and lessons that my parents gave me, everything from knowledge on how to reset my computer when the Internet won't work to knowledge on how to say, "I'm sorry, I'm busy!" This is the song that will remind me of them the most while I'm away:


"Where You Lead" - Carole King and daughter, Louise Goffin

I'm also taking friends who love me and care for me, and want me to do my best and live my boldest. They have taught me so much, allowed me to grow and change without judging me, and have continued to let me know how much they would do for me, just by being there when I need them. 

Over the years, I've also collected a handful of important movie and TV characters that have taught me lessons in humility, tolerance, and compassion. They've taught me how to love, how to get through disappointment, and how to forgive others. Clearly I can't leave them behind! I'll be taking the following with me to college:

Lorelai and Rory Gilmore (the Gilmore Girls), who have taught me to dream big, travel often, read insatiably, and talk to your mother!

Brooke Davis and the cast of One Tree Hill, who taught me that above all your friends are more important than money and fame, fortune and winnings. Treat them with kindness and respect, and use them as your ultimate source of comfort and love. 

Dr. House, who taught me to question everything and believe that above all, people lie. It is up to us to figure out why they're lying and what or who they are trying to protect.

Harry Potter, Ron, and Hermione, who taught me about love, friendship, loyalty, and doing the right thing even when it is the toughest thing. 

And finally, there are some pretty influential musicians that I'll be taking with me, too. Musicians whose music has gotten me through some of the greatest and toughest times in my life: Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews Band, Bonnie Raitt, Sonny and Cher, The Avett Brothers, The Band, Paul Simon, Billy Joel...I could go on and on. But I won't, don't worry. 

So somehow, I feel as though I'm not going at this alone. And that, my friends, is a liberating and exciting thought. 

 
"Not Alone" - Darren Criss

No comments:

Post a Comment